Saturday, June 24, 2006

Photography...

I seem to have had good luck with catching cooler weather on the weekends lately. This has resulted in my taking over 1000 photos with my Olympus E-300: mostly at the Tulsa Zoo. I've been pretty impressed with the zoo here. Granted, it is no Dallas Zoo or Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, but it is far better than I would have expect for a city the size of Tulsa. I have especially enjoyed the Wings of Wonder butterfly display. It is so soothing to be in an exhibit with hundreds of butterflies of every color flitting around you. I have capture the best butterfly photos of my amateur career here.

P6170944-01

I spent most of last Saturday walking around the Tulsa Zoo taking photos. I have two lenses for my E-300. I have the 14-45mm zoom lens and the 40-150mm zoom lens so I am effectively covered from 14-150mm. With the Olympus 4/3rds digital system, you have a 1.9x factor so the 35mm equivilant is 28mm to 300mm (11x zoom). Needless to say, in a zoo enviroment, my larger zoom lens spends all it's time attached to the camera so that I can get the close-up photos I want. I do not have a macro lens as of yet, but as you can tell in the photo above, the 150mm lens does a pretty good job of getting in nice an close even though I was about 10 foot away from this butterfly.

The lens also lets me get up-close and person with animals. This lends itself to photos that are very personal.

P6170994-01

It also allows me to catch so nice action shots.

P6170985-01

All in all, I have been very impressed with the Olympus E-300 and the lenses. I've only had the camera about a month and my photos seem to be continually improving as I learn the camera. Oh, if you are ever in the Tulsa area, be sure to drop by and visit our zoo! You will be glad you did.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Great photos! I'm very impressed with your new camera.

Unknown said...

Great photos! I'm very impressed with your new camera.

Gina said...

Glad to see you are enjoying the new equipment! do you have a flickr where I can see more?

Unknown said...

Thanks !

My Flickr account is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ablessg/

I also posted it under my links. Thanks for reminding me to do that.

xianfu said...

nice photos.. even Im impressed too..
wat a lovely blog here... visit my blog and tell me wat do u think about it InvernoKL keep up all the good works.. rocKZ!! :p take care, xian

Anonymous said...

Great photos with your new camera. I must take the kids over to the Tulsa Zoo. Even though I have lived here in NW Arkansas since 1988 and only a short drive over to Tulsa, and several trips to Tulsa, I have never visited the zoo.

I'll have to plan a geocaching and zoo trip soon to the Tulsa area. I noticed there are many caches along the route over and back that I want to hunt.

Maybe we can arrange to meet up somewhere in Tulsa sometime and visit about geocaching and photography.

~Brandon

Unknown said...

Thanks, Brandon!

That would ne great. Shoot me an email anytime you want to get together for caching or photography!

xianfu said...

We can always look at the same picture over and over again... if it's shot perfectly... I still fond of the butterfly.. it seems so clear.. ^^... RObin william is so cool!!.. be catching it too.. take care mate!!

Unknown said...

Thanks, xianfu!! That is my favorite, as well.

sarah doow said...

Wow, that butterfly shot is lovely. I'm here via Blogexplosion, so I'll make sure to check out your Flickr page too!

Unknown said...

Thanks, doow!! I enjoyed visiting your Flickr page!

Catnapping said...

that water looks good. if there wudn't a bear there, i'd jump in!

Unknown said...

Ain't that the truth, Cat. With the 100 degree weather we have been having here, I'm not sure I wouldn't join the bear!! Long time no see, Cat. How have you been?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Thanks for the link to your flickr!